Thursday, June 29, 2006

dang...




I've heard a lot about this documentary on Wal-Mart (Wal-Mart: the high cost of low prices) and I finally watched it last night. Holy crap. I haven't been so angry in quite some time.
Of course I know that editors and directors can selectively use material to "prove" their points, but there is simply too much within this film for me to believe that in reality everything in Wal-World is hunky-dorry and the director has just found a few people and only taken the bad things they say and made a movie from it. The section where they interview Chinese workers and they tell the film makers about how "rent" for the factory dormitory is automatically cut out of thier pay, regaurdless if they choose to live there or not, all the while working 12 hour days for less that $3 per day. It honestly made me sick to my stomach. Gosh, there is so much in there that made me mad. I also wonder how many other business (Lowe's, HomeDepot, Target, Starbucks) are conducting similar business practices. I do know that at Starbucks workers can at least get some kind of health care insurance, and it seems to be affordable to the workers. Anyway, not to push opinions or "propaganda" on anyone but people should check out the movie. It at very least is good fuel for thought / conversation.


Here's a clip of the director on CNN.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I want to see that ... where did you get it?

jeff said...

thats interesting. I will take a gander at the clip!!

Jason Harmon said...

Amanda, got it from Netflix, possibly the single best $9.99 a month Im currently spending.

Jeff, have fun gandering.

Deniz, they probably don't sell it at Wal-Mart, but if they did you could get it for cheap, but just remember TNSTAFL. Stuff is only cheap cause somewhere, someone is getting screwed.