Thursday, February 15, 2007

i don't know how old i am...

in recent conversations, about 3 or 4 of them actually, the topic of my age has arisen. each time when asked the question, "how old are you anyway?" i confidently answer 24... apparently that answer suits me since i've been giving it for the past 16 months. a little while ago while talking about a possible laptop purchase, i say, "if i get it, it better last me till i die." my friend responds in an imitation old man voice, "i've had this laptop since i was 25 years old." "silly girl..." I think to myself, "i'm only 24." then i say, "but i'm only 24" and she laughs, knowing the truth because our birthdays are in fact only a few days apart, and then informs me that i am 25. i realize that on my birthday this reality should have sunk in... but i was busy and for whatever reason it just didn't take. i feel like a different person now... i seem to have lost a year, that scares me.

so to all the people that i've recently had conversations with about feeling like an old 24 year old... there is more truth to that statement than i thought. i should work less.


(on a side note i think i remember writing something a few months ago on here about thinking like a normal 25 year old or something, so i suppose there are times when i realize my own age, but sadly those times are counteracted by months of obliviousness)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you sure you aren't 26?

Jason Harmon said...

i've done the math

Ginny said...

you said you were 24 in a conversation on wed. i thought to myself "that's not right, is it?" but who am i to contradict another on their age?

Amanda said...

I have thought of that conversation several times and it makes me laugh without fail. With you, of course. Welcome to twenty-five.

G. Twilley said...

I've got a theory on it - because the same thing happens to me @ times [I had to ask La how old I was today].

I think that time tends to seem faster as we grow older due to fractional differences - the basis of this is a belief that we operate in a paradigm of fractions as opposed to totals. I.E. - this year of my life is 1/26th of my life span to date. The last year of my life was 1/25th. While the year in and of itself is somewhere around 365 days, the fraction of my life is much [seemingly] shorter.

I could go deeper - but this is a comment, not a blog:-).

jeff said...

Gene, your hilarious.
Jason, that's funny, man.

JP said...

I haven't been confident of my age since I was around 25 -- I *always* have to stop and do the math. Usually, though, I'm wrong in the other direction -- about half way through the year, I start to think, "I'm almost 36" -- then I can't remember if I am 36 or if I'm turning 36. So, if I was born in 1971, I'll be how old in May?

I *do* know that Rachel will be 8 on March 15!

katie said...

j, i think i stopped aging somewhere around 28. could you be pregnant? that always makes me forget my age, keeping up with weeks, months, dates, and the like...
it usually isn't until i watch b turn another year older, that i realize, in 6 months i too will be his age!