Monday, November 07, 2005

This Pedestrian Life

While in Atlanta I exist as a commuter. I have to drive to eat, to get back to the hotel to sleep, and then also to work after I wake up. I also have to drive 2 and a half ours to get there. I have to say though, after finding my way around the city, even weaving my way through the traffic of Atlanta's interstates on the way to the suburbs to visit a friend, I felt quite pleased with my 3 day stint as a commuter. I guess traveling gives people the feeling that they have accomplished something. I felt that way. I'd coverd a great distance, knowingly gone into unfamiliar territory just because, and somehow pieced together mental maps of the path that led me there. Taking roads that looked interesting half in hope that they will intersect with Northside Dr. or NW Merritta St. that would lead back to the familiar, and half in hope that they would take me somewhere better. Its good to find your way in and out of unfamiliar spaces.

In Birmingham, Im a pedestrain and there's something very comforting about that. Making my way up 29th, my very own personal hwy 75, then to 10th Ave south, the 285 bypass. And occasionally I'll take 28th, the unfamiliar back road in my block and a half commute, half in hopes of it being a more pleasant commute home, half in hopes that I'll find some place better to go.

No comments: