Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Weddings for 70 year olds.

Im not quite sure if my grandparents are acutally 70. They will eternally be 50 to me. But they got married, or renewed their vows all the same this past saturday. Its kind of funny that to me they will always seem 50, and they've been married 50 years. I guess to me that means they are eternally inseparable. PopandGranny. Never one or the other, always both. Their service was really quite sweet. Its great seeing your Pop tell his wife that she's his best friend and he couldn't make it without her. And its great seeing Granny tell her Pop that she loves him more than she knew was possible. Its pretty fantastic really. The old country preaher that was doing the cerimony was kinda profound in the simplicity of what he said...and quite theologically estitue. He said that the goal of marriage was to establish a household, fulfilling our cultural mandate from God. (I added that last part to show how smart I think I am) but thats what he was getting at anyway. And as I looked out at the congregation, you see I was on stage putting tapes into the modest sound system, I saw so many people that had come into existence because of their marriage. Im one of them. My parents household was because of my grandparets and mine will be because of both of them. To see how many people can result from one marriage kinda blew me away. It was quite beautiful to have all the people that resulted from Pop and Granny there to celebrate their marriage with them. Its hard to imagine anyone happier than I was to see them exchange rings, but I know everyone there was probably just as choked up. It really put in perspective what love and marriage are about. It kinda made me want it, kinda just made me glad to be a part of a family. It made me love Pop and Granny more, and caused me to be thankful for them, and thankful that God put me in their family.

No comments: