Sunday, May 15, 2005

Weddings change everything

I was at a wedding this weekend. Weddings are becoming a lot more meaningful to me these days. I dont think its because I feel alone a lot. I don't even remember wishing I had a girlfriend or anything at this wedding. Actually I even remember thinking that it was a good thing that I didn't because I think that what God has been showing me about relationships and what Ive been learning from friends who are already married has sobered to the fact that marriage isn't like I see on tv. I was talking to a friend who is going to Thailand this summer about it all and I told him that when he goes he will be floored by the fact that the Thai people will think that his life is like Will's on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air or like some other tv show that they have seen or a movie. I told him that that's how it was to some degree in Brasil. That people associated what they saw in the movies and on tv with what american life is actually like. I think thats how I think about marriage a lot. I think I really romanticise it and probably just have a screwy view in general about it. But like I said I think Im being sobered to that fact and because of all that sobering at this wedding I was glad that it wasn't me saying the I do's and all that.

Its kind of strange to me that in the course of 15 minutes or however long a wedding cerimony actually lasts that pepole's lives can change so much. Not just on paper or legally which is kind of funny too, but spiritually and everything. It really is a great mystery. At one point these two people are seperate, then they are one. At one point it is a sin and dishonoring to God if they have sex, then the next minute its glorifying. Its so strange that so much can change in that short of a time. I was talking to that same friend about what actually is going on at a wedding. And what we came up with is that these two people gathered together as many people as they thought were important and said before God and them that they pleged to love no other person but the one that is all dressed up there holding thier hands. And thats about it. Its a covenant, its a promise, and that is what changes everything. Everything changes just because a promise is made and it is witnessed. Its so abstract to me. I guess thats good though, abstract things are more fun to try to wrap you head around anyway.

No comments: